Monday, May 29, 2006

We don't make bread here anymore

On saturday I found out some interesting news at work. They have decided to shut down our bakery department and make it into a cold spot (when before it was a warm spot). For those of you who don't understand the whole woolworths terminology here it is.

Hot spot - this is a bakery department that does all their baking on site. This includes rolls, bread, cakes, cookies, pretty much anything that looks like it hasn't been mass produced in a factory and is in crappy packaging.

Warm spot - this is a bakery department which does some on site baking, usually cookies and cakes, but no bread or rolls. This is what my woolies currently does.

Cold spot - no baking, just bring it in frozen on a truck and we'll chuck it on the shelves. We may still do doughnuts, don't know yet.

Now there is both an upside and a down side to this new system. The upside is that I will no longer have to do any baking and packing of stock which will save me lot's of time and because I am lazy generally makes my job a lot easier.

The downside is that due to the fact I will not be baking any stock, I will not have anything to eat while I am working. This means no cookies, no cakes, and (my favourite), no scoffins.

All in all though I think the upside beats the downside because I can always say that stock is damaged and eat it anyway, and I get out of a lot of work which I previously did.

This is not so good for the twp fulltimers whom I work with because they are now going to be put in another store and a part timer will come in to do 30 hours a week where all they do is order stock and put frozen stock out.

For the many woolworths mitcham customers however this means that there will no longer be a range of freshly baked bakery goods, and therefore our store will be known as the store with the bakery that has the not so fresh food people, with the frozen fresh bakery goods.

Yum.

No comments: