Friday, February 03, 2006

Wheelchair sports, the good, the bad, and the ugly

Yesterday I went to Tommy Rodens house for a good old fashion barbecue with some mates. It was a good day full of eating drinking and playing sports. The good thing about Tommy's house is that there is a park directly behind it and you can walk out his back gate into it. A lot of football and soccer took place on this arena and some good fun was had.

Then the day turned to competition and wheel chair slalom began. It was a tough course and many were battered and hurt along the way.

Some pics to show you the events of the day.















The challenging course involved weaving through the chairs, around the one at the back, weaving past the other chair and through the finish, magical stuff here.





















Borgas mentally preparing himself for the challenge ahead.
















Danny making a valiant but pathetic attempt to break the record (he is about to fall flat on his face).
















Borgas taking on the difficult U turn at the end of the course.

















Borgas showing off some flashy burnouts.


At the end of the day it was I who came out on top. With some perfect runs and good technique I posted the three top times of the day making me the clear winner.

1. 15.3 sec
2. 16.5 sec
3. 17 sec

No one could beat my time of 16.5 seconds until I stepped up again and beat my PB by over a second. All I can say is that it is a great achievement for me, all those years of playing wheelchair soccer in primary school have paid off.

But in more bragging rights I have finally beaten Borgas at something and therefore are better than him, hahahahaha, it's about time. (one day I'll beat you at tennis though mate, you're bound to have an off day sooner or later and that's when I'll pounce)

All in all it was a great day, many thanks to Tommy and his hospitality.

I have a dream, that one day, in every backyard Australian BBQ, wheelchair races will take place in the spirit of competition.

We can only dream my friends, we can only dream.

No comments: