Monday, April 24, 2006

Rediscovering the world of literature

Today I went into town and walked around the stores while hails did her CPR renewal course. To my surprise I walked into a book shop to see what the wide world of literature had to offer. I spent about 45 minutes looking at a variety of books and upon exiting the store I purchased a couple of books (something I haven't done since I was about 8 when I got book vouchers from my untie and uncle for my birthday).

The first book took my fancy due to the fact I had seen the movie, I bought hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, all four of them in the one book. I am really looking forward to sitting down and reading this book. The other book I bought cost me 10 bucks and is called Dumbology. This book basically goes through a range of stupid things that people have done. There are actually quite a few funny things in it in a variety of catergories from the military, to sports to, politics.

All I can say is expect me to share a few of these stories with you over the next few months cos they are classic. So having said that here are a couple.

Military Errors

"The 1824 war between Britain and the Ashanti (part of present day Ghana) witnessed a display of supreme incompetence by Charles Brandon, the British army's stores manager. Surrounded by 10,000 warriors and running low on ammunition, the British redcoats ordered Brandon to break open the reserve ammunition he had bought from the coast. As the Ashanti forces closed in, Brandon unscrewed the ammunition boxes, only to find that they were full of biscuits instead. He had brought the wrong supplies."

"During the second world war, the Russians invented a unique device called the 'dog mine'. The idea was to train dogs to the underside of tanks with food and thus, with bombs strapped to their backs, to wreak havoc on the German Panzer divisions. Alas, the dogs proved unexpectedly true to their training, associating food with only Russian tanks, and forcing an entire soviet division into retreat. The plan was quickly scrapped.

Enjoy.

No comments: