Saturday, March 18, 2006

B-I-N-G-O, and BINGO was his name Oh.

No I haven't gone completely insane from singing Bingo with the kiddies at placement, although it is quite fun. No last night I took up Matts advice and was dragged out of my comfort zome by Hails to Bingo at Bedford Industries.

Now i know what you are all thinking. Ben has finally admitted he is retarded and has joined the mentally retarded in their weekly game of Bingo, well I hate to disappoint but that is not the case. In fact it is more like that I have suddenly felt that i am "retiring age 65" and joined the oldies.

I must say it was quite a lot of fun and an easy way to make some money if you manage to win. It costs 4 bucks to play like 30 games and you win about 25 bucks if you get bingo. I decided just to play the one game on each game. However some of these oldies go nuts and have six cards to check as the numbers are being called. Normally that would be okay if you were playing bingo in a retirement home however this was like speed bingo with numbers coming out faster than I could cross them off. Anyway a good night was had and I think we might be going again next week for those interested.

Placement is really starting to get hard as I have a shit load of work to do and only a small amount of time to do it in. I have taken on the responsibilities of team leader in the centre for the kindy's and this means that I have to actually act responsible. In about 3 months I will be finishing this course and I could (if I wanted to) start working full time in a childcare centre looking after children and planning experiences to help their development. Believe me it's not as easy as throwing out some lego blocks and some paper and pencils and letting the children go wild. No we have to look through the SACSA document (daw you will know what I am talking about) and look at each individual child and determine what types of experiences wouold help them to develop different skills and understandings. It gets to be quite annoying really. I have three more weeks of placement followed by some much deserved holidays. Can't wait.

No comments: